The inspiration for My First Half came from lots of different places but there was one particular song that I listened to a lot while I was writing it which was If You Were There by Wham.
I was born in 1981 and so Wham were a huge part of my childhood. I remember we had the VHS tape ‘Wham! The Video’ and we watched it over and over again arguing about whether George stole Andrew’s girlfriend or vice versa in the ‘Last Christmas’ video (which for me will always be the best Christmas song). Even now, I still want to dance around the living room whenever I hear ‘Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go’.
If you want to see some of the other things which inspired My First Half, you can check out the Pinterest board.
I’ve included a My First Half playlist below, which includes all the songs referenced in the book.
- Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol
- Whenever, Wherever by Shakira
- Girl From Mars by Ash
- I Hate You So Much Right Now by Kelis
- Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones
- Danny Boy by Ronan Tynan
- Copacabana (At The Copa) by Barry Manilow
- Lola by The Kinks
- Poker Face by Lady Gaga
- Merry Christmas Everyone by Shakin Stevens
- We Are Family by Sister Sledge
- Bye Bye Baby by Bay City Rollers
- Always on My Mind by Elvis Presley
DISCLAIMER: Please remember I am a child of the 1980s and so my musical tastes tend to reflect that 🙂